Clay Humane News

Pet Safety Tips For The Holidays

December 2018

Pets Deserve A Happy and Healthy Holiday Too

‘TIS THE SEASON

It’s a wonderful time of the year for people, the visits from friends and family, decorating the tree, the last minute shopping, and the hustle and bustle of the holidays in general combine to get everyone in the spirit. So, in the merriment of the season, let’s not forget our four-legged family members and take these helpful precautions.

Proper Identification
Make sure your pet is wearing proper ID tags (with current information) and has been microchipped in the event he/she dashes out the door and becomes lost.

Skip the table scraps & sweets
Any sudden change in a pet’s diet can cause severe indigestion and diarrhea. Bones can splinter and cause blockages. Greasy, spicy and fatty foods can also cause stomach upset or even worse – an inflammatory condition of the pancreas known as pancreatitis. Sweets can kill, so keep chocolate, desserts, all types of candy and the foil / cellophane wrappers they come in out of your pet’s reach.

Yeast Dough / Baking Ingredients
Keep raw dough out of your pet’s reach. If eaten, it will expand in your pet’s stomach and could become a life-threatening emergency. Both baking soda and baking powder are highly toxic, along with nutmeg and other spices.

Use caution with alcoholic beverages.
Many holiday plans include alcoholic beverages. If ingested, an animal can become sick and weak and possibly go into a coma, which could lead to death due to respiratory failure.

Use caution with floral arrangements
Many festive holiday plants such as mistletoe and holly berries can be toxic to pets. Lilies are especially deadly to cats. Keep all floral arrangements out of your pet's reach.

Fire Hazards
If you spark up the fireplace, keep unsuspecting, curious pets away from the sparks and flames and make sure to never leave any lit candle unattended.
Christmas Tree Water. The water that keeps your tree flourishing may contain fertilizers which, if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can serve as a breeding ground for bacteria and cause vomiting, abdominal discomfort and diarrhea in your pet.

Decorations.
Ribbons, tinsel, pine needles and glass tree ornaments, if ingested, can become lodged in your pet’s intestines, causing intestinal blockage. Tape down electrical cords, as chewing on them could cause pets to be badly burned or electrocuted.

Unwanted Gift.
Never surprise a friend, spouse or partner with a gift of a pet for the holidays. A companion animal is for life, not just the holidays.

Remember to keep a watchful eye on your pets, especially during this busy time, and have a wonderful and safe holiday season!

As always, Clay Humane wishes you and your four-legged friends a safe and happy holiday season!